Every person living with a stoma has the right to:
- Receive pre-operative counselling to ensure that they are fully aware of the benefits of the operation and the essential facts about living with a stoma.
- Have a well constructed stoma place at an appropriate site, and with the full and proper consideration to the comfort of the patient.
- Receive experienced and professional medical support and stoma nursing care in the pre-operative period both in hospital and in their community.
- Receive full and impartial information about relevant supplies and products available in their country.
- Have unrestricted access to a variety of affordable ostomy products.
- Be given information about their National Ostomy Association and the services and support which can be provided.
- Receive support and information for the benefit of the family, personal carers and friends to increase their understanding of the condition and adjustments which are necessary for achieving a satisfactory standard of life with a stoma.
- Be protected against all forms of discrimination.